2017-2018 NACD Private Company Governance Survey
In Brief: The 2017–2018 NACD Private Company Governance Survey presents findings from our annual questionnaire. For more than a decade, this report has helped directors to stay on top of governance trends and practices and benchmark their boards against a large set of privately-owned organizations. By looking at data on board structure, composition, education, and board evaluations, for example, directors can ensure their boards continue to be fit for purpose. In addition to benchmarks on governance practices, this year’s report offers detailed insights into the directors’ outlook for the next year on
- key business trends and critical board priorities;
- directors’ involvement in strategy development;
- the state of boards’ risk oversight, specifically cyber risk; and
- the progression of private company governance.
How boards can use this resource:
- Identify areas for improvement in your current governance practices, including board composition, structure, succession planning, and risk oversight.
- Benchmark your board’s strategic priorities.
Relevant audiences: Board members and corporate secretaries of private companies, especially board chairs, lead directors, and committee chairs.