Board Advisory Services
NACD Board Assessment Services
NACD assessments are team-building exercises that help equip individual directors and the board to become strategic assets for all stakeholders.
Our team of sitting directors and subject-matter experts will partner with you to identify strengths, uncover risks, and discover opportunities through tailored engagements.
NACD will collaborate with you to develop questions based upon your unique circumstances and our decades of experience. Each assessment is facilitated by a NACD Directorship Certified® faculty member who understands the nuances of the boardroom and appreciates the sensitivity and confidentiality of the evaluation process.
- Full Board Assessment
- Management Assessment of the Board
- Committee Assessments
- Individual Director Assessments
- Skill Sets Matrix
- C-suite Assessments
Tailored to address the most relevant needs of your board
- Electronic assessment to benchmark against NACD Blue Ribbon best practices and research to understand how you measure up
- In-depth interviews by our elite NACD Directorship Certified and active director faculty to uncover the real issues
- Assessment results and practical solutions and recommendations with a proven approach based on NACD best practices
- Facilitated discussion by our faculty to help you move forward
- Elicits candid, confidential feedback: NACD assessments encourage directors to address issues.
- Third-party facilitation: NACD Directorship Certified faculty members are skilled, objective interviewers. They provide an independent perspective, and their only agenda is to support the boardʼs development.
- Serves as a team-building exercise: optimize strengths and unite the board by ensuring all voices are heard.
- Demonstrates strategic commitment: show your dedication to strategic alignment and governance excellence.
- Provides practical guidance: concrete action steps establish a road map for continuous improvement.
- Earns NACD Fellowship® credits: Provides board members with credit toward a recognized director credential.
"NACD facilitated our annual board and committee evaluation process. We were extremely pleased with the quality and level of preparation of the NACD faculty—their insights, their adeptness in facilitating group discussion, the organization of the process, and the utility of their key recommendations.
Nominating and Governance Committee Chair, Eagle Rock Energy Partners LP
A board assessment focuses on the competencies and overall effectiveness of the board and helps to align priorities around board functions, cohesiveness, strengths, weaknesses, culture and dynamics, communication, information flow with management, and more.
NACD’s board assessments focus on five core areas of board responsibility and oversight:
• Board composition
• Talent oversight and CEO succession
• Board processes and operations
• Strategy oversight
• Risk management
Management Assessment of the Board
Adding a management assessment of the board serves to further enhance transparency and open communication across the management team and directors. Management answers questions from their perspective, and the resulting report is one that sheds light on any potential areas of misalignment of priorities across board and management, or gaps in the perception of the board’s performance in a particular area.
Committee assessments enable a review of core competencies, create baseline metrics, and define key performance indicators. We will identify areas for enhancement and assist in developing concrete action plans. Committee assessments follow the same rigorous methodology and data analysis process as board assessments.
Director Peer Assessments
Align your board members to collectively perform as a strategic asset for your company. Directors assess themselves and their peers along a set of behavioral questions, and will receive their own confidential report, which will outline key areas of strength and areas to consider for continuous development.
Skill Sets Matrix
Generate a snapshot of the board’s current skills using a matrix to reveal areas of board weakness and deficits. Gaps can include areas of expertise (and experience, age, gender, ethnicity, and race) that succession planning committees should be seeking during board director recruitment activities. The resulting matrix enables robust succession planning, leading to long-term success and sustainability.
NACD will build a custom board composition assessment representative of the skill sets, competencies, and experience needed for your board. The resulting output is an analysis of the current skills and skill gaps of the directors.