2023 Governance Outlook:
Projections on Emerging Board Matters
In brief: Each year, NACD provides directors and senior executives with a forward-looking view of business and governance risks that will require board focus over the coming year. The 2023 Governance Outlook: Projections on Emerging Board Matters includes an analysis of NACD's 2023 Trends & Priorities Survey as well as insights and projections from four of NACD's partners—Broadridge, Deloitte, FGS Global, and WTW, and an additional contribution. The following topics are covered this year: human capital oversight, ESG oversight, third-party risk oversight, SEC rulemaking, proxy season factors, and the D&O threat landscape.
Boards can use this resource to assist them in taking the following steps:
- Improve board oversight of human capital through connection with the five elements of global stewardship: performance, protection, planet, people, and purpose.
- Adapt board governance structures to provide effective oversight in a rapidly changing environmental and social landscape.
- Increase the board's level of understanding and engagement on the scope of third-party risk and opportunity.
- Understand implications of SEC rulemaking currently underway to the board and the company's business.
- Understand the five factors that will weigh on the upcoming 2023 proxy season.
- Consider ten issues in the current D&O threat landscape and their implication for the 2023 D&O insurance renewal.
Most relevant audiences: board chairs, CEOs, general counsel, lead independent directors, committee chairs, strategy committee members, nominating and governance committee members, audit committee members, compensation committee members, and risk committee members.
NACD (Director Perspective: Top Priorities of 2023)
WTW (2023 Outlook: The Board’s Role as Stewards of Human Capital)
Deloitte & Touche LLP (Board Governance Structures and ESG: Avenues Boards May Consider for Managing Expanding Responsibilities)
Deloitte & Touche LLP (Third-Party Risk Oversight: Growing Engagement, Action Expected at the Board Level)
FGS Global & Strategic Governance Advisors (SEC Rulemaking Likely to Drive Significant Changes for Companies and Boards)
Broadridge Financial Solutions (Factors That Will Impact Proxy Season 2023: What Directors and Management Should Expect)
Woodruff Sawyer (Directors and Officers Liability Threat and Insurance 2023 Outlook)