Sample CEO Succession Process
In brief: This sample CEO succession process originally appeared in NACD’s 2014 publication Success at the Top: CEO Evaluation and Succession. The template includes a sample executive evaluation form and rating scale for assessing internal CEO candidates.
This resource can help your board to
- Determine criteria or qualifications for the CEO’s successor.
- Identify possible candidates for succession.
- Access the capability and potential of possible successors.
- Create development action plans for potential candidates.
- Review the progress of potential candidates.
Most relevant audiences: CEOs, nominating and governance committee members, and compensation committee members