Core Report of the NACD Blue Ribbon Commission on Adaptive Governance: Board Oversight of Disruptive Risk
Click here to access the complete report with the toolkit included (complimentary download for NACD Full Board Members and NACD Fellows).
In brief: The adjective “disruptive” in today’s business press is frequently associated with fast-moving developments related to advanced and emerging technologies. While the threats and opportunities associated with new technologies are unquestionably significant, disruptive risks are not limited to these alone. Sources of disruptive risks may lie inside or outside of the organization. Some disruptive risks may be company-specific, some may be common to an industry sector, and others may affect all organizations nationally, regionally, or even globally. They could be “unknown unknowns” or they could be issues that are familiar, but minimized or ignored–risks hiding in plain sight.
The 2018 Report of the NACD Blue Ribbon Commission on Adaptive Governance: Board Oversight of Disruptive Risks aims to help directors build proficiency in adaptive governance, a competency required in today’s fast-changing business landscape.
This resource can help your board to
- define adaptive governance;
- improve the board’s visibility of disruptive risks;
- position the company to better assess and mitigate untraditional risks;
- review disclosures and other communications to shareholders that describe the key factors that would make their investment risky; and
- provide guidance on how to turn uncertainty into an advantage.
Most relevant audiences: directors of public, private, and nonprofit organizations; audit committee members; risk committee members; CEOs and management teams; lead directors; committee chairs