Policies and Procedures
Since 2007, the NACD Directorship 100 has sought to identify the most influential people in the boardroom and in corporate governance. The 2019 Directorship 100 will be comprised of 50 public company directors and 50 governance professionals and institutions who exemplify the knowledge, leadership, and excellence that our organization promotes. Past D100 director honorees are not eligible for consideration for the 2019 list.
The closing date for nominations is February 1, 2019.
Nomination Requirements for Directors:
The Directorship 100 will be selected based on a criterion that reflects NACD's standards of director professionalism. Nominated directors must serve on at least one public, private, and/or nonprofit board where they chair a committee of that board.
- Demonstrate the highest ethical standards on both a personal and professional level
- Set a notable tone-at-the-top in promoting the company's vision and values
- Consistently demonstrate candor, fairness and openness to others' opinions
- Exhibit courage and leadership under duress, doing what is best for the corporation and its shareholders in the face of countervailing pressures inside or outside the boardroom
- Value board and team performance over individual performance, keeping ego in check
- Facilitate superior board performance, bringing out the best in peer directors
- Form constructive working relationships and collaborate with an independent attitude
- Personally participate in the development of future leaders and directors
- Provide wise, thoughtful counsel on a broad range of issues
- Maintain leadership in their fields of endeavor
- Demonstrate judgment and discretion that is trusted by their peers
- Have a track record for actions which have guided their company in maintaining consistent long-term profitability, pursuing significant business opportunities, improving shareholder returns, and/or dealing effectively with a crisis or other major change
High Performance Standards
- Have a history of achievements that reflect high standards for themselves and others
- Devote time to the job, both inside and outside the boardroom, demonstrating rigorous preparation and participation
- Foster an environment of constant improvement of strategic goals, performance and innovation
- Demonstrate a focus on creating and balancing value for shareholders, customers, employees and other stakeholders
Only NEW director nominees to the D100 will be considered for inclusion on the 2018 list.
Directors who are currently serving on the board of NACD or one of its chapters are ineligible for nomination.
The NACD Directorship editorial team reviews candidates for the Directorship 100 received in the open call for nominations. Each year, the final Directorship 100 list is comprised of a new class of directors that reflects the composition of NACD's membership. Directors must serve on a public, private, or nonprofit board where they chair at least one committee.
The final list of D100 honorees is submitted to the NACD senior leadership team and then to the NACD board for final ratification.