How to Become a Director
Enhance your chances of gaining a board seat without leaving your own chair!
Through this unique multimedia course, you can make yourself a better director candidate and boardroom leader.
► Why choose this course?
► Who should take this course?
► Benefits of this course?
► Course learning objectives
Prepare yourself for boardroom service through this convenient, self-paced online course. You will gain a practical understanding of boardroom best practices, director selection processes, and get plugged in to an invaluable network of professionals and resources to help you build your board career.
Act now and get one step closer to the boardroom, receive insights from industry thought leaders and gain access to invaluable information resources.
- Watch, listen and learn from experienced public-company directors.
- Hear the commentary and receive advantages from seasoned directors' real-life boardroom experiences.
- Gain a practical understanding of boardroom best practices, regulatory requirements and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Learn on your terms — how and when you want – without having to leave your home or office.
- Understand the skills and backgrounds increasingly valued by public company boards.
- Learn how to effectively translate your professional skill sets and experiences to secure your first public company board seat.
- Discover how to efficiently navigate the complex board selection process – its both "who" and "what" you know.
- Benefit from NACD's 30+ years of boardroom thought leadership, analysis and research, combined with the Weinberg Center's expertise in teaching the fundamentals of corporate governance.
- Develop an invaluable network, support system and resource library as you build your board career.
- C-suite executives seeking board positions, such as Chief Operating Officers, Chief Financial Officers, Chief Technology Officers, Chief Information Officers and Chief Marketing Officers.
- Corporate Secretaries, General Counsels and Partners of Audit and Accounting Firms.
- Non-profit or private company directors seeking their first seat on a public company board.
- Professionals who believe they can make a unique contribution to company oversight and who seek to shine in the new corporate governance environment.
- Identify the fundamentals of director fiduciary responsibilities. Recognie director duties and corporate governance guidelines,drawn from the Report of the NACD Blue Ribbon Commission on Director Professionalism.
- Specify key board committees.
- Recognize how board oversight differs from executive operations.
- Identify the board selection process.
- Identify key historical events with respect to corporate governance.
Repeat Access for How to Become a Director
You may access the course at anytime for one full year from the date of purchase. Simply go to the NACD website and click the Login button at the top of the page. You'll be prompted to enter your user ID and password. On the My Account menu, the course will be listed under My Virtual Access.
Review the Technology Specification to make sure you can run this course on your computer.
For more information regarding administrative policies, including complaints, please contact Ronnell Perry at 202-572-2103 or education@NACDonline.org
Payment, Cancellation, and Transfer Policy for How to Become a Director
NACD accepts Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Checks, payable to NACD, must be received before the registrant can begin the course. NACD strives to provide registrants with quality, meaningful education. If you have found this course to be unsatisfactory, NACD will refund your registration fee, provided that you have not taken the final exam and your refund request is submitted in writing within 14 days of registration. Transfers will not be issued. Please submit all cancellation requests to elearning@NACDonline.org or fax to 866-536-9044.
All NACD online courses are subject to demand. NACD reserves the right to cancel or postpone courses at short notice at no loss or liability where, in its absolute discretion,
it deems this necessary. In the case of cancelation, NACD will notify paid registrants via email. NACD will issue 100% of registration refund should cancellation be necessary.
Official National Registry Statement
National Association of Corporate Directors is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: http://www.learningmarket.org/
- Program Knowledge Level: Basic
- Pre-Requisites: None
- Advanced Preparation: None
- Delivery Method: QAS Self-study
This NACD course will be reviewed and updated bi-annually to reflect the current business environment, and maintain relevance. All individual modules will be reviewed by subject matter experts under the supervision of the Chief Programming Officer and Director of Strategic Content.